Publishing and Archiving
The Hydrologic Units dataset that includes Montana is made available to patrons from three different clearinghouses:
- Via the USDA, NRCS Geospatial Data Gateway (https://gdg.sc.egov.usda.gov/). This dataset is updated quarterly. It may have newer data than the HUC data accompanying the USGS National Hydrography Dataset.
- Via the USGS as a part of the National Hydrography Dataset
- Via the Montana Data List:
- As part of the MSDI Hydrography dataset (HUCs are a necessary component of the USGS’s NHD dataset
- As a file geodatabase (v10.2), which includes the 8-digit, 10-digit and 12-digit HUCs for Montana
- As separate ESRI shapefiles for 8, 10, and 12-digit HUC levels.
- In a web map service published by the MSDI Hydrography theme lead with the HUC data pulled from the current Montana National Hydrography Dataset (NHD): https://gisservicemt.gov/arcgis/rest/services/MSDI_Framework/WatershedBoundaries/MapServer
They Hydrologic Units dataset is archived at the Montana State Library inside the Montana Hydrography archive data packages.