The MSDI Transportation dataset is the most complete representation of Montana road geometry in one statewide database with address data where available. This statewide dataset incorporates transportation features and attributes from many different data suppliers.
Additional data source partners are sought. If you or your organization have transportation data to share, please contact the MSDI Transportation theme lead. MSDI Transportation is being enhanced on an irregular schedule as providers' make their data available and as new transportation data is discovered online.
Data and Documentation
The MSDI Transportation dataset is available as an Esri geodatabase version 10.4.1, as a shapefile, and as an ArcGIS Server web service. A layer file and a ReadMe with release notes accompanies the releases. If other data formats or versions are needed, please contact the Transportation Framework theme lead.
The following files are available for download:
ArcGIS Server web service:
Status of Transportation Framework
FY 2017 NEWS:
- Updates to roads from data derived from Flathead County web site
- Updates to roads from data derived from Lewis and Clark County web site
- Updates to roads from Gallatin County, thanks to Jenny Connolly,
- Updates to roads from Lincoln County, thanks to Deb Blystone.
FY 2016 NEWS:
- July - various attribute and classification updates. No new data, just QAQC.
- June - county road and address data - Yellowstone County, thanks Janelle!
- April-May - county road and address data - Wheatland and Golden Valley.
- March - a few more Valley County roads and address updates
- February - McCone County roads and addresses.
- January - Sanders and Jefferson County roads and addresses
- August 10, 2015—- ROADTYPE attribute edited for functional class, highways and rural types.
- June 25, 2015 -- Musselshell County data from Adam Carlson
- June 18, 2015-- Anaconda-Deer Lodge, Chouteau, Granite, Mineral, Pondera, Toole and Valley County. Thanks Dylan and Mat of MAPS, Inc. for the data.
- Considerable names clean up, however I am working on multiple name fields so as not to lose any aliases or variations. The attributes are a work in progress and I welcome any input or ideas. Thanks, duane
- There are six attributes at the end of the roads table that closely reflect the MDT data values for System and Function with CORRIDOR, DEPT_ROUTE, ROUTE_NAME, MDT_Syst, MDT_FC and SIGN_ROUTE. They should be pretty close.
The Transportation Theme model contains multi-jurisdictional roads, ramps, bridges and trails features, and supporting tables encompassing Montana. The model is managed through a federated approach, where data from tribal, federal, state, local and private providers is contributed, standardized and then integrated into the model. Using data from these sources assures the best-possible and best-available coverage across the entire state. The layer is continually maturing providing support for a variety of applications.